Friday 15 July 2011

Yoga return.


After discovering Pilates a few weeks ago I have really been getting into it. I love the challenge and the more active excercises that are set for us and have already begun to see a few changes and definitely my abs are getting tighter.

However in this new Pilates lust I must admit I had left Yoga behind a little and had started to choose the pilates sessions instead. After a particularly stressed out Monday at work I needed the endorphins that a workout would give me but I also needed to centre myself and block out the world if even just for an hour. Yoga was calling me back to it's rejuvenating powers.

I went to a new Yoga class and luckily it was only half full so I had lots of space to move and be focused. I must admit it was probably the most enjoyable yoga class I have ever been to. So much so that I found myself feeling guilty for having left it behind for a while. Jennifer Anniston is a huge fan and practices all the time, she has said that she gets herself in a bad mood if she misses a practice. So if it's ggod enough for Jen it's good enough for me too.

Lizard pose
We started with some really good breathing and centering excercises and then moved through some new challenging poses that I havent tried before. This Lizard pose will become a new favourite. It feels amazing across the thighs and hips giving a really good stretch.
Balancing star pose

Dancer pose

Next we moved on to some balancing poses. It has taken me a while to get some of these right. It is all about bringing your focus inwards and picking a fixed spot to gaze upon while moving into the pose.


The best thing about Monday night's class is that I discovered I am finally on my way to a perfect Chaturanga. I always found this impossible and would have to bring my knees to the florr first or would find myself dropping down too quickly before moving into upward dog. However it seems that all my painful plank practice in Pilates has started to improve my upper arm strength and I was quite surprised at how much easier I found the Chaturanga.

All in all I have come to realise that I need to find equal placing of my Yoga and Pilates practice in order to feel happy. So that will be my new aim in the next few weeks.......

No comments:

Post a Comment