Sunday 26 June 2011

Pilates Newbie




Now that I'm slowly settling into yoga and feeling more confident doing it, I thought it was time to try something  with a little more exertion. I have always wanted to try Pilates but with funds being a little tighter than normal, up until now I couldn't afford to do both. The Dublin yoga studios have saved the day!

www.yogadublin.com

At the moment they have a brilliant offer for newcomers. It costs only €59 for your first month and you can attend as many yoga and Pilates classes as you like. This gives you a great opportunity to try out lots of different teachers and styles to find the ones you like the best.

My first Pilates was this Sunday morning at 10am. Luckily I hadn't been out the night before so I was up fresh as a daisy and ready to give it my best. My teacher Caroline was great. She was really enthusiastic and funny which definitely helps when struggling through some of the more challenging stretches.

There were definitely similarities with Yoga but with a stronger emphasis on toning. This is exactly what I need. Most exercises are based around a strong core which I am hoping will start to tone my little potbelly. We also toned our arms, legs  and abdomen. All exercises are performed with a controlled breathing system which is actually done quit differently than in yoga.

I must admit even though I have only done one class so far, I think it's going to be addictive. Afterwards I felt full of energy and ready to face the day. Hopefully it will become a new Sunday morning routine. Pilates, Sunday papers and the breakfast!




Celebrities such as Gwyneth Paltrow, Madonna and Jennifer Love- Hewitt swear by Pilates to keep them fit and they have amazing bodies. It's enough to keep me motivated that's for sure!

Have you tried Pilates yet? Any tips on pilates exercises? Anybody recommend a good yoga/ pilates schedule?

No comments:

Post a Comment